21 August 2011

Strobist

I have struggled to get to grips with lighting, particularly off-camera lighting. I am lucky enough to have a Speedlite 580 EX II flash for my Canon 5D which can be swivveled and the light can be bounced off ceilings, walls, mirrors or reflectors. But when it comes to lighting kits my skills are a little, well hesitant.

Speedlite 580EX II

Recently I have been getting around this inefficiency by borrowing and using a Bowens lighting kit whenever I can - this is helping my confidence handling the kit grow and I am already noticing my abilities and techniques are improving.

However, last night I met up with a fellow photographer. It turns out his skills in the strobist field are immense. I have found someone that not only can teach me the alchemy required to master off-camera flash but also is going to let me try out his radio controlled triggers on his set-up before I go and purchase my own.

Right I am clearing time in my diary for this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .