22 November 2010

Practice Shots

In preparation for the shoot tomorrow I have been thinking about what I want to achieve. I want a long exposure so there is movement - but I also want to freeze the action. I will therefore use a long exposure and use the flash. I will begin with the camera in Aperture Priority mode. I had a practise on my cat - but he did not move much!

My plan is to have the horse rolling in the indoor school, kicking up dust as he rolls and then capture him in his most vulenerable position as he gets up onto his feet. My intention is that this will be a dark image - a dark horse in a reasonably dark environment.


Tim Flach



I also want to capture some extreme close-up shots of him - inspired by the Equus images by Tim Flach. This will mean I need to make sure he is clean and tidy and relaxed after rolling in the dust. I have set aside the whole morning to see what I can achieve.

Tim Flach

Tim Flach


Tim Flach

I will be using Canon 5D, Speedlite 580EXII Flash, 24-105mm lens, 50mm macro lens and reflector. I will not be using a tripod or lighting kit, at this stage, as I feel flash and hand-held will achieve what I want. I also need to ensure horse and equipment will be safe. If I feel I need to use lighting I will borrow a kit and have provisionally booked a second visit for Friday afternoon - if it is required - if not we are going out for a ride.

I have a couple of ideas for the tag line at this stage but until I see the images I am not sure which to use.

Costings are coming along fine and tomorrow I will negotiate how much the session will cost.

I have a set of still life images in my head that I would like to take. These will be to support the main image (or replace it if it does not go as expected).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -