27 April 2011

Artist Statement

Most people hate to write their artist statement. I think it is because they have to be honest and critical about their work. I have heard some quote Lewis Hine "If I could say it in words, I wouldn't need to photograph", but I think mostly they are just plain embarrassed.

With all the hassel of deciding on your final images for a show you then have to edit and make your final choice; then you have to stand back and write a short piece to sum up what people are going to be looking at. Being a photographer is not really very much about photography, it is so many other things.

I probably spend more time reading an artist statement when I am at an exhibition than I do looking at the image - so I need to make sure that what I write is compelling and interesting enough for someone to read right to the end.

I find they usually fall into one of three categories:
  1. Meaningless but flowery
  2. Academic gobbledegook
  3. Plain, unadorned, honest
I have approached writing my artist statement like writing copy for an advertisement. Why have I produced this work, what is it about and finished with a little about me.

It is honest and truthful - but with a little bit of flowery.  It will follow.

~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~   ~ ~