17 December 2011

Mentor

Went to a 'talking business' event at my bank last month and a small business customer gave a talk about his business. He discussed how the bank had helped him and how he had expanded and become a success in four years - all very interesting and inspirational.

One thing I took away from the talk was how he talked about his mentor. He sees his mentor every fortnight and that he discusses with him his ideas for marketing, expansion, dealing with customers, staff issues and in fact, it seems, most things. He said his mentor gives him confidence and sees his ideas from the outside offering succinct and valuable advice.

Until the beginning of the summer I had a mentor, someone who knew me and my plans, someone I could bounce ideas around with, and - most importantly - someone whose advice I trusted. As they have been a bit busy it has not been convenient to continue. I realised recently that I am missing this advice and guidance.

My plan for the next few months is to find someone who is willing to give me a little of their time to give me some advice and allow me to plan and develop my business - it's going to be tricky but I think I know where I can look. Just need to see how willing they are.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .