09 December 2010

Art Catalogue and Pricing

Have been developing an idea for items to leave with people when I go to visit them. I have created a mini portfolio:

105x100mm
I spent a bit of time talking with Ian Shipley and he gave me a suggestion which I might develop. Rather than have a 'mini portfolio' he suggested I develop the idea into an Art Catalogue to personalise and send to garden centres, boutique shops, tourist attractions etc.

We chatted about pricing for prints/canvasses and how to work from the Suggested Selling Price (SSP) back to the cost to create the item. This was very interesting and something I had not considered. 

I showed Ian my website - he gave me a lot of feedback about it and ideas about layout, copy and prices. I have now implemented some of his suggestions.

This has been extremely useful as I want to start to make sure all the things I do are putting across a professional and co-ordinated feel. I had been thinking about selling my images to stock agencies but the chat with Ian helped me with my decision about that. Chris had also suggested that I get a printer to make the mini portfolio because he thinks it is a fabulous idea but can see that it takes me many hours to put together.

I have had very useful chats this week that have helped me see a few next steps in the development and creation of my photography business.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -