22 September 2010

The Summer Summed Up

At last it's here.
The start of the degree course.
First task was to photograph something that summed up what you had been doing over the summer. This was a lovely idea as it gave everyone the chance to think creatively and also it gave each of us the chance to introduce ourselves and to talk about our interests in photography.
My summer was all about setting up my business with help from Victoria at Apricot Management Consultants. I have been marketing myself, producing items for sale and taking on commissions. I opened a business bank account and to my delight and surprise there is actually money in the account.
I have realised that in order to make the business a success I am going to have to find a way to become quite selfish. Stopping when in the full swing of working to answer a question or pay the window cleaner or run the house is not good for me. I work best at odd times of the day and I actually need to work best when the house is empty. A plan in the back of my mind is to have an office/studio somewhere away from the house so I can concentrate - but that is a long-term plan.





This road marking summed up exactly how I feel about what I am doing. I have to be two different people; I have to have two different skill sets; I need to wear two different hats. I am fortunate in that I do not need to take a part-time job but like those that do need to work we all need to split ourselves.
I want this course to help me tighten up my skills and confidence with all equipment; help me be critical of my own work and that of others; show me doors where opportunities might lie; help build up networks; give me support and guidance.

Morning 
During the morning session we were asked to go out with our phones and take some interesting shots. These are the ones I came back with:











I think I would like to revisit some of these with a proper camera. Although I think my phone camera is pretty good - the images would never stand up to being enlarged or used anywhere else.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -