05 November 2011

Managing Contacts

I have been networking for a year now. Networks are constantly evolving beasts and at each meeting I will pick up new business cards or will add a contact number directly into my phone.

Decided I need to tidy all this up. I need what is in my phone, in my contacts folder on my iPad and on the business cards to all match.

I'm sure there is a clever way to do this - like some sort of sync app, or package or magical click of a button - that will make them all appear on each device. However I'm old school (and frankly have the oddest way of organising things) and so I have input them individually.

Yesterday I bought a business card wallet and filed them into relevant slots. It now contains all my WIBN contacts business cards. First dilemma was whether to file under first name, surname or company name. Wow that was a toughy. Decided on first name because that's how I know people. Lots of 'Js'.

Next was to get them onto my iPad. It, fortunately, files alphabetically under first name so I'm on a winner here. To make it really easy to spot my WIBN contacts in amongst friends and relatives I gave them all the prefix 'WIBN' (rather than Miss, Ms or Mrs). Crafty eh?

Finally my phone. Once everyone was in there I set up a folder called WIBN and all the ladies are neatly to be found in that folder. The final job is to add Twitter names.

Phew.

Now I need to do the same for my network friends from NLB, think I need another business card wallet for that.

Crikey this really makes me realise just how many people I am now in regular contact with in connection with my business.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .