29 December 2011

Extruded light drawing - Fire

Fire experiment
Finally got the chance to try out my holographium and with the help of my assistant I created this:


This is a lot of fun and very clever - my hat is off to the people at Dentsu London who produced light drawings using the iPad for a project Making Future Magic. They had to work out how the letters would extrude out of the iPad and then create a programme to make it happen.

dentsu London

dentsu London

I was fascinated with this project when I first found it in Autumn 2010. I discovered recently that they had created an app for the iPad to allow you to create your own extruded lighting drawings. My first attempts were full of mistakes. I quickly realised what I needed to do but did not have the correct equipment to hand at the time but was determined to set things up better, have more time to plan, consider the angles and position of the camera to the iPad and understand how the varibles within the holographium would affect the result. Here was my first attempt:


I realised I had got the timing wrong and that I was at the wrong angle to the iPad but I could see how to put that right and make it much more interesting.

This is such fun and now I have mastered the techniques I will have a think through ideas and then produce them.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .