29 December 2011

Strobe Flash techniques

First attempt:
Whilst I have been experimenting with lighting and flash I thought I would try a technique I have read about - strobe flash. This involves setting the flash to strobe a desired number of times a second whilst the camera is set to a long exposure. This means that you will be able to capture a moving object as it progresses across the frame all in one shot.
  • First issue is that the flash has to be attached to the camera - you cannot do this with the flash off-camera.
  • Second issue is you need a dark background so that the object is captured in the strobe of the flash moving across that dark background.
  • Third issue is to choose a moving object that will behave the way you want it to. For example move in a straight line across the image.
Well this was lots of fun. Here is the best of my first attempt:

You can just about make out the chattering teeth as they progress across the towel


A failure I know - but failure is welcome because then I can put it right. If you want to see complete failure then this is the very first attempt when I had got everything wrong!


You can perhaps see the chattering teeth to the left?


Reflection:
I think it might work better out in the dark at night and to use a person who will walk exactly where I say. The background was far too light and therefore resulted in it being over-exposed. The wind up toy ended up just winding me up because it would not travel in a straight line. Made me laugh though. Will try this out at weekend when I will have people over who will be happy to be bossed about! Friends eh? They are brilliant.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .