02 May 2012

3D

For the very first time I went to a watch a 3D film at the cinema. I have never wanted to do this but a ticket had been purchased and it seemed rude to say no. Next I find out that the film is about Pina Bausch - a dancer and choreographer. Again not something I have ever been interested - but it would seem rude to say no.



Quick google revealed Pina as a contemporary dancer/choreographer who died in 2009 before they finished the film directed by Wim Wender (he of Paris, Texas). I was still not sure what to expect. A quick look at the trailers didn't really help convenience me this was going to be a good thing - but it seemed rude to say no.



Made our way to the Electric (actually holding hands!), were given our 3D glasses and we sat down to see what this was going to be all about.

Oooooo the 3D effect is something else when seen for the first time. But as the film settled down and got going it didn't really give me anything a beautifully presented 2D film would have done. However what a 2D film would give me is high definition and clarity and no headache.

The 3D glasses are very heavy and for a 2 hour film were digging a groove in my nose. I think my eyes and brain got a bit tired and confused - towards the end of the film I was seeing ghosts of the dancers and no amount of head repositioning would get them back properly into focus. This is what created the headache - I hate not being able to get everything in focus.



And the film - well that was really sweet - I am no lover of contemporary dance - but this was - well - great. Some bits I did not understand, but some bits were tremendously sweet, tender, aggressive, powerful. I loved that the dancers, in some cases, had been with Pina for upwards of 30 years. They were all ages and from all parts of the world. Men and women alike were gifted, athletic, slightly bonkers and, although I know nothing, extraordinarily good dancers. Beautifully filmed and I actually think I would like to see it on a big screen in 2D.



Although the Electric has unique 3D glasses which are obviously not cheap I still don't think the 3D technology has advanced enough to make watching a 3D film entirely comfortable.

Glad I went - because one should always experience things before spouting on about it. And the bonus was that I had a delightful tea cooked for me - homemade paella and homemade bread. Yum

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .