15 August 2011

Archery

Had a social event with my Friday morning network colleagues. Archery with the Long Eaton Field Archers. I took along a colleague I have met through the Women In Business Network - my good friend Redroo Creatives. We were there all day - learning about the equipment we had been given, shown some secrets for the best results, at lunch we had a talk about archery through the ages, and a competition.

Field Archery does exactly what it says on the tin. It is archery in the field. The course we followed attempts to replicate hunting. Many of the targets we were presented with were only seen through gaps between the trees. My friend hit mostly trees which made us all laugh. The LEFA members were very helpful, entertaining, encouraging, and they decorated some of the targets with references to our businesses. On of the targets was a grizzly bear with a camera round its neck. I hit that one right in the camera!

I am really tempted to join the group - but know I already spread myself too thin across all the things I do so perhaps it would be silly. However I will make the suggestion to the NLB network that we have this social activity each year (or more frequently).

I did take my camera with me but quickly realised that I would have enough to carry with the bow (which was as tall as me) and the quiver full of arrows. I did capture this interesting shadow on the wall of the marquee where our refreshments were served before I put the camera back in the car.


It was a great day spent outside all day and doing something that was challenging, frustrating, tiring but lots of fun. I quite fancy the idea of trying it on horse back. This morning I ache in my arms and across my back. But would recommend it to anyone. More fun than a walk, challenging, but nicer than golf.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .