12 August 2011

Stargazing

At my weekly networking meeting this morning I decided to cover star gazing. Last week I had been asked about the star photographs I had captured whilst away on holiday.

Here is a few of the images I showed this morning:
Tech details = You need to be in a dark room to see the detail.
My camera was set for a 20 or 30 second exposure to capture the light from the stars.

The Plough above the Cottage.
 
The top of the summer Triangle. Deneb on the left and Vega on the right.
Not a constellation but a pattern of stars and a way of finding the Milky Way
on a moonless summer night.
This was taken at 11pm and it is still too light. The sky appears blue.
This is why astronomers do their gazing in the winter months.
 
I don't think I freaked everyone out about the fact that Andromeda (our closest galactic neighbour) is hurtling towards us at a 100 kilometres per second. Nobody changed their plans for the weekend that's for sure as Andromeda won't be with us for another 3 billion years. You can see Andromeda with the naked eye, it is the most distant thing we can see. It appears as a smudge but its beauty becomes clearer with binoculars or a telescope.

Happy Gazing

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .