10 September 2011

Since I was 17

For those that are at network meetings with me and those that read my 'about me' information on here and on my website - then you will have heard me say:

"I have had a camera stuck to my face since I was 17".

I even have photographs of when I was first given that camera - an Olympus OM10 - as a birthday present. It was whilst I was on holiday on a boating trip traveling around the canals of rural France. The journey home involved camping in (or near) Paris for a couple of days (I know, but we were young!) We photographed the Pompidou Centre, Les Halles, Louvre, Notre Dame, Société Générale, Arc de Trimophe, Trocadéro, Palais de Chailot, Place de la Concorde, Champs Elysées - and finally the Eiffel Tower. I have this wonderful photo of me at the top of the Eiffel Tower photographing the rivets whilst everyone else photographed the view.



In October I am off to Paris - the first time since 2002, before that 1996 (it should be more frequent than that I know - I will try harder in future particularly with Eurostar being practically on the doorstep as East Midlands Parkway runs straight into St Pancras). The plan whilst in Paris, in October, is to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower again and try to recreate the image.

I did a project a couple of years ago and using the images above and these words:

"If you ever get the chance to go to Paris - go - as many times as you can. It lives up to so many of its own clichés - romantic, sophisticated, bohemian, glamorous, artistic, seductive. Half the world thinks that their lives would be immeasurably enriched if only they lived in a cramped studio flat five flights up with a view of the Eiffel Tower - half the world is probably right."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .