19 September 2011

Paolo Ventura

Earlier in my research for inspiration for my Small World project I came across this artist and thought his work and his images were very interesting. I felt it was time to revisit my research and see where it begins to take me.

The Autmaton - Paolo Ventura

The Automaton - Paolo Ventura

The Automaton - Paolo Ventura

Born in Milan and living and working in New York, Paolo has exhibited these doll based images since 2006. He spent 10 years as a fashion photographer and started creating these images after hearing his grandmothers memories of World War II.

He plays with ambiguity – the scenes look real or have the feeling of an old photograph. Each scene takes weeks to create and he destroys them as soon as he has finished photographing them – this is for practical reason – he only has a small studio. To make the images tell a story he gives them a caption. They look like stills from a film. They are somber, romantic and also elegant.

I love the detail in these settings and he has everything in focus. He also captions his images so that people are guided through what they are looking at. For me the only ambiguity is whether they are real or fake, photographs or stills. If he is captioning the images then the story they tell do not present any ambiguity – but the process does.

I now need to think and plan how I am going to present my buildings and characters and consider my next steps and move towards photographing them.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .