15 October 2010

Found items

There were many items found during the restoration of the building I am photographing including wallpaper, electricty bills, pieces of lino and an empty packet of cigarettes. History shows that these were only manufactured for a few months during 1939. 


I have had in the back of my mind that the book could be more than just pages that there could be something more tactile about the book.

I once bought a photo album - which I have never used - because the cover was incredibly tactile with Hessian rope and the binding consisted of a bound twig.


I want to use something that will lift the book. The trouble with using the found items is that they are very precious and unique. I have thought about adding a ribbon as a place mark to the book once it is delivered and perhaps attached a button to the ribbon. I did this with the holiday journal I recently created on a trip to Scotland.



I also have some cord with tassels that might give a luxurious feel to it.



I shall experiment when the book arrives and talk to students that are able to create interesting metal objects. These could then be attached to the ribbon and dangle outside the book. A fake found item?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -