26 January 2012

Experimentation

Time-lapse experiment begins. Last night it all started but went a little wrong. The transmitter needed a new battery - I couldn't even get started.

Finally the Transmitter is working

I have now had chance to watch some of the online tutorials on how to use this baby. The best is here. I have programmed it successfully. No to get started with pointing my camera at something - the only place that is sturdy, that I can keep an eye on it and there is an activity is out of the office window. (Clouds slowly rolling over and occassional cars/people in the street - ooo and rain).

300D observing the world

These first set-ups will be about getting to grips with the settings and trouble shooting any problems - I do not intend to capture anything stunning or outstanding. I'm typing away and I can hear it clicking and capturing an image every 3 seconds. With something like clouds I think fast shutter speeds are fine but I think if I want to capture set-ups with many people moving about I will need to adjust the settings to get something the Americans call 'Drag'. This means a longer shutter speed so that you capture some motion blur on those things in your image that are moving. The results are much more pleasing and help give the piece some context.

The approaching storm

It's about to start raining and the drops are falling onto the window in front of the camera - that will look good (or annoying) on the finished piece - cant wait to find out!

The practical stuff:
I need to find out the maximum extent of three of the items in this set-up. How quickly will the memory card fill up? How long will the Transmitter battery last (it is working the whole time communicating with the camera). How long will the camera battery last?

I have been watching some other people's attempts at time-lapse photography on Vimeo - some of which are stunning. Some of the guys have set up their cameras on Dollys which move slightly at intervals as the shoot progresses. In the finished 'movie' this appears smooth and very interesting. I found it a bit disorientating and it brought on feelings of seasickness. But what stunning captures they achieved. I have a lot to aspire to and techniques to learn. 

Right let's see how the camera is doing and see if I can make a movie out of this rain cloud!

Think I may have found the endurance level of the Canon 300D - seems it has an issue with the mirror. Better get onto internet and find out how to fix it.



Hmm not something I can fix - it appears a plastic pin on the mirror has failed and needs creative intervention. I might know a man that can. Am now using the 5D. 


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .