13 January 2012

Teeside Adventure

My Teeside adventure will include photographs but they wont be uploaded until Tuesday. You will have words only until then.

Have arrived in Saltburn on a clear and frosty night. The evidence, in this delightful and very comfortable guest house, is that there is a pier so that will be photographed tomorrow. For tonight I am going for a walk to the front to listen to the sea and perhaps set up camera for time lapse capture on the stars. I have been investigating buying an 'Intervalometer' if I'm going to do more time lapse projects, but for tonight I will be using the camera's self timer and my tripod to avoid any camera shake. I will find an off-license on the way back for a wee dram to warm me up.

Star to the left above the tree line - Sirius and on the right - Mirzam.

Time lapse on stars captured - most likely Sirius and Mirzam (left of Orion) moving across a line of trees. Realised as I left, after 20 mins of captures, that I was on private property and standing on someones roof! Whoops. Didn't stray too far as I couldn't really see what was where, I could hear the ocean and knew there was a cliff somewhere! Got a bottle of Merlot on the walk back past the end-of-the-line railway station. Saltburn is a lovely town. Looking forward to Roseberry Topping tomorrow.

Saturday:
The sun is coming up but I think I'll stay in bed. Here's the view out of my bedroom window over the roofs on the other side of the street.

Sunrise over roofs on Leven Street, Saltburn

Had an hour between breakfast and being picked up so I went to the beach and watched the surfers. Please bear in mind that there was frost and ice around. These surfers are made of hardy stuff. Was enchanted by the beach and the pier and the Huntcliff headland. Would love to come back here for a longer stay. Captured some lovely images. Landlady told me about the active and inspiring artist community that Saltburn has. Only slightly jealous.

Saltburn Pier

A rather arduous climb to the top of Roseberry Topping. Knees complaining but stunning views to compensate and much fun was had by all. The walk down was much easier and the lunch in the local pub was a welcome reward.
Jumping for joy at reaching the top

Party at New Marske Sports Club was tremendous fun and people really went to a lot of trouble dressing up, felt quite guilty not making any effort - but it wasn't compulsory. Live band were brilliant - The Fallen - they really got involved in the party and encouraged all those dressed as Slash or Kiss to air guitar along with them. Those of us that were single all had a bit of a crush! Big mention has to go to Lavendar Cakes who provided the most spectacular cake. Follow the link and see if you can find an image of Rebecca's cake - best up-to-date images of cakes can be seen by liking Lavendar Cakes on Facebook.

Sunday:
Into Whitby for about 10.30 and captured some images and sound that I will be using for a PhotoFilm. Also had a play with the tilt and shift lens. Got extremely cold - think it was somewhere around minus 3 overnight and reached a balmy 3 during the day! brrrrr

Tilt and Shift madness


Took about three and half hours to get home. Had to stop for a snooze at Woolley Edge services and slept for about ten mins whilst listening to Lord Peter Whimsy. Just what I needed to get me home safely.

I cant praise the B&B I stayed in enough. During the last twelve months I have stayed at two B&Bs that I would rate very highly. But with this one I am planning to go back - there is so much potential to photograph around Saltburn I cant let that slip by. (Plus .... Ssssshhhh I have been given a voucher - which makes it even more attractive).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .